rigid inflatable boat insurance

Thread: Round Ireland Powerboat & RIB Challenge

Blog Entries

Default Round Ireland Powerboat & RIB Challenge

The Suzuki Sponsored 2013 Round Ireland Powerboat & RIB Challenge.

19 Boats Successfully Complete the Circumnavigation of Ireland...

The Suzuki Sponsored Round Ireland Powerboat & RIB Challenge saw 27 boats from all over Europe on the starting line at Kilmore Quay, Republic of Ireland, on the 27th July – set for the very first attempt of an anti-clockwise circumnavigation of Ireland by a powered flotilla.

A total of 19 boats completed the punishing near 1000 mile voyage on the 5th August with the largest boat being 9 metres and the smallest just 4.7 metres in length. The only all-girl team of Pink Panther, crewed by teenagers, Morwenna Montgomery-Swan and Hannah Glatzel also finished entirely successfully aboard their 4.9 metre RIB. The teams met varied conditions - from light breezes to blinding rain storms and extreme winds off the West Coast. Six boats even got caught by a 300ft high twister; 3 of these boats were spun by its force and had to dash for cover beneath Brandon Mountain to spend the night on a beach after dragging their boats ashore to escape the gale. There was a helicopter air/sea rescue in response to a MOB incident which occurred when a solo Challenge participant got thrown out of his craft en-route to the Irish start line whereupon he remained adrift in the water for some 2.5 hours off the Welsh coast. The wearing of a kill-cord saved this man’s life – as did his dry-suit and the activation of his personal PLB. Another incident involved the launching of an RNLI lifeboat out of Fenit to assist in the towing of a broken down Challenge vessel south of Loop Head.

Along the way the teams had the privilege of witnessing multiple sightings of dolphins and seabirds. The latter included Arctic Terns and Puffins. Warm water Sun fish were sighted too, as were two whales in the waters north and south of the isle. The flotilla visited such sights as the Giants Causeway, the mighty Skellig Rocks, Bull Rock and the Fastnet lighthouse.

The Suzuki Sponsored endurance challenge was a huge testimony to what well-found small boats are really capable of in the hands of those who are adventurous and determined to push the boundaries of small boat cruising. This event will no doubt inspire many other people to broaden their horizons. The event also has provided the most excellent means of evaluating equipment, engines, clothing and other items. The results of these will be published in a special edition of PBR – but beware there will be some surprises in store…

It is the wish of all the teams and the event organiser, Hugo Montgomery-Swan, to give a special thanks to the kindness and hospitality of the Irish people who proved themselves outstanding in every port the event visited. Great thanks also to the Irish Coastguard and the RNLI for their support and the contribution they made to the welfare of the teams.
    Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand!
    Ribs for Sale

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	944760_10151535918162666_238320429_n.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	1271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1074813_10151747112804709_2124248430_o.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	1272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1150774_10201099763128980_50303501_n.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	1273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image001.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	1274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image002.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	1275
    Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand!
    Ribs for Sale