rigid inflatable boat insurance

Thread: New World RIB Record Attempt

Blog Entries

Default New World RIB Record Attempt

New World RIB Record Attempt
    Sun 8 Feb 2015 - Beaumaris Pier 12 noon.

In Nov 2006 the HotRIBS World Record Trophy for the fastest time Round Anglesey was announced. Four months later the trophy and record for the 68nm course was lifted by Ian Greenwood & David Manning in a record time of 1h 35m 10s. Some nine years later, tomorrow Sunday 8 Feb 2015 will see the record challenged by Mark Lyne and Dean Watson. Start and Finish Beaumaris Pier 12 noon.

Background to to the challenge can be found here:
    http://www.hotribs.com/03press/246-r...d/anglesey.asp

And the current holders story here:
    http://www.hotribs.com/02articles/05...f-anglesey.asp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIB_Trophy.gif 
Views:	51 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	1394  
    Logic will get you from A to B - imagination will take you anywhere!
    hotRIBS

Blog Entries

Default Ocean Devil Scorches Record

Two hotRIBSTERS have set a new World Record for the Round Anglesey course. Marc Lyne, a marathon runner and IT Director for BUPA together with navigator Engineer Dean Watson scorched the 8.25 metre Scorpion RIB, Ocean Devil around the 68 nm course in 1 hour 21 minutes 59 seconds at an average speed of more than 50 knots to reduce the previous record by almost 15 minutes.

Marc completed his daily 10 km run before helming Ocean Devil anti-clockwise around Anglesey. They started at Beaumaris Pier, slowed whilst passing through the Skerries tidal race and ran at full speed through the infamous rock strewn Swellies between the Britannia and Menai bridges where the usual speed limit of 5 knots had been officially relaxed.

The Harbour Master and Coastguard carefully monitored the arrangements and several Yacht Clubs helpfully adjusted their sailing routines during the attempt. The pair used Raymarine digital navigation and Ocean Devil was constructed by the Lymington firms of Scorpion RIBs and Dave Crawford Marine both of which have previously assisted successful World Powerboat Record attempts. Capt. Ian Greenwood who established the record in Feb 2007 greeted the RIB on Beaumaris Pier to give his congratulations to the new holders.

To see what records are still waiting to broken check out:
    http://www.hotribs.com/11records/records.asp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OceanDevil800.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	1395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RecordBreakers.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	1396  
    Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand!
    Ribs for Sale

Blog Entries

Default Through the Swellies at 50 knots

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand!
    Ribs for Sale

Blog Entries

Default Anglesey Protest Update

Decision by HotRIBS.com
    Circumnavigation of Anglesey Challenge Trophy

Following the protest in regard to the recent Round Anglesey RIB World Record attempt, and as the initiator and provider of the trophy, the directors of HotRIBS.com have come to a view and decision on this matter for the sake of expediency and clarity.

The Anglesey Challenge is a HotRIBS.com award. The RYA/UIM are currently looking at a protest in regard to a world record set by the current holders. How long it will take for these deliberations remains unknown.

Background:
    When HotRIBS initiated the trophy there were to be no restrictions on the route to encourage nothing other than sensible and safe planning and good seamanship. See requirements Item 2 - http://www.hotribs.com/03press/246-r.../anglesey.asp: “Crew are free to establish their own course and direction (clockwise or anticlockwise)”.

This objective remains the same today. On this basis HotRIBS.com will present the challenge trophy to Marc Lyne/Dean Watson. Any future challenges can be declared Inshore or Offshore for the fastest time.

The trophy plinth will be engraved with the names and times of any record breakers and will be kept on display at the Royal Anglesey Yacht Club at Beaumaris. Once the official time is ratified the plinth will be engraved with:

Ian Greenwood/Dave Manning 2007 - OFFSHORE - 1hr 35m 10s
    Marc Lyne/Dean Watson 2015 - INSHORE - 1h 21m 59s
    (once time ratified)

Logic will get you from A to B - imagination will take you anywhere!
    hotRIBS

Quote Originally Posted by RibOne View Post
    wow that's crazy. i can't imagine going that fast in a rib boat.